Monday, February 9, 2015


First off, in my last post I forgot to post pictures of my house. It is located in a suburb called Mowbray, only about 15 minutes from campus. The house was built in the early 1800's and actually has a lot of history to it. In one room there is a trap door that leads to the old slave quarters. Unfortunately our landlord blocked most of the rooms off with bricks so that we aren't able to explore, but you can still see what horrible conditions they were subjected to. 


 My room


The porch that is connected to my room


Since school still doesn't start for another week my friends and I decided to go to one of Cape Town's many beaches. Muizenberg is one of the warmest, and it is only a 30 minute train ride away (for only $2!!). This beach is especially known for shark attacks so they have shark spotters that try and warn swimmers of any potential danger. There are four different flags; green for safe(er), black for unknown, red for prime shark condition, and white for shark spotted. Once a shark is spotted all swimmers have to leave the water for a bit. It happens quite often, but we were lucky that when we went only the green and black were flying. 





Today we went to something I have been looking forward to for a long time, Boulders beach. This beach is home to a penguin colony and the public is able to hang around with the penguins as they wish. 

 Nesting penguins and baby penguins!!



 Crystal clear, but frigid, water!



Soon I will be leaving to go on a garden route tour. So lots to come.

Peace.

Mel.



1 comment:

  1. So so so jealous of your visit to the penguin beach... African penguins are my absolute favorite! Your pictures are amazing.

    ReplyDelete